Saturday, February 09, 2008

Travelogue: Wilmington and Fort Fisher

Starting up another semi-regular serial. I travel enough, so I'll blog about the interesting places along the way. Many times, these are places that I've enjoyed as a reenactor and want to share some of my experiences, and maybe what you can find to help you enjoy some preserved history. To kick things off, I'm starting with one of my favorite towns, Wilmington, NC, and one of my favorite sites, Fort Fisher.

Wilmington
I've been to Wilmington numerous times, and I never tire of it. It's as Southern as any southern city gets, and reminders of its Civil War heritage are almost countless, from the points of interest to the many DAR statues that you can find about town. Not so visible, with the exception of the USS North Carolina, are the WW2-era landmarks which can be found around town too. Not only does the Civil War history live strong in Wilmington, so does the spirit of the WW2 homefront.

Fort Fisher
I have a thousand storys to tell about Fort Fisher, and this landmark is much like coming home each time I visit.

1 comment:

RoadDog said...

One of my favorite cities as well. And Fort Fisher is definitely my favorite spot. This is what got me interested in the Civil War.

I also like Wilmington's work with the WWII homefront.