Monday, August 13, 2007

Wartime Letters of George R. Stancil 1861-1864 Pt4

Jackson River Depot VA August the 25 1861

Dear Miss


I received your kind and consoling letter last night with which I was highly pleased that you were well you will learn from this that I am tolerable well at present but have had a hard time with the measles. I have traveled a great deal since I wrote you last. We left Weldon the 12th of this month and got to Peters Burg the same night and they was as kind to me as they could be for which I was very thankful to them They wanted us to stay there but we could not stay so we left Peters Burg the next day for Richmond and got there the same day we left Peters Burg. We stayed at Richmond for a day or two and have been traveling on for this place ever since till yesterday. We will leave here some time this week and go to Lewis Burg.

I must tell you my dear that I think of you every day that comes over my head. When I think of you it causes my heart to hurt within me when I think of the happy days that we have spent together and now I am where I cannot see thy Beautiful face but I hope to return home if it the will of Providence and I will with ____and pleasure tell you, you will release my burdened heart by sending me another kind Letter with some braid of your beautiful hair and I will with pleasure send you my Dugareotype as soon as I can have it taken and I am truly sorry that you did not get the other one. Be certain to send me some braid of your hair and I will bring it back to you or carry it to my grave. I have nothing more to write that would interest you. So I must close by saying I remain your sincere friend until Death

- Write soon Direct to Lewis Burg

When this you see remember me
Though many miles apart we be
Round is the ring that has no end

So is my love to you my friend

George R. Stancel to Miss Winnferd E. Dupree

Notes:

The regimental history says this of George Stancil's stay around August 25th:

After one day in camp west of Richmond the regiment was ordered to Staunton to join General John B. Floyd's Army of the Kanawha. The regiment encamped at Bunger's Mill, four miles west of Lewisburg, where it remained until September 9...

The letter places George at Jackson River Depot (present day Clifton Forge, VA) after a two week train ride from Richmond. More than likely, he was on the Virginia Central Railroad, as described here from an NPS site discussing the importance of the Shenandoah Valley area:

Serving the Upper Valley, the Virginia Central Railroad ran more than 195 miles from Jackson's River Depot near Covington to Richmond--via Buffalo Gap to Staunton and via Rockfish Gap Tunnel to Charlottesville and beyond. Between Charlottesville and Gordonsville, the Virginia Central used the same tracks as the O&A, enabling connections to Lynchburg and points south, or Culpeper, Manassas, and Alexandria to the north. From Gordonsville, the Virginia Central continued east via Hanover Junction to Richmond. This railroad carried vital supplies from the Valley to the Confederate capital (with disruptions) well into 1864.

Soon after arriving at Jackson River Depot, the 14th NCSV marched to Lewisburg, VA (now WV) and encamped at Bunger's Mill. The regiment was to join the newly formed Army of the Kanawha a few days after it reached Lewisburg.

George is also very lucky, he managed to beat a case of the measles just before the time he wrote this letter. Til this time, the 14th NCSV regiment is still untried in battle.

3 comments:

Eva said...

I love-love-love this series. Please keep it coming, for as long as there are letters to print!

mntineer said...

There are plenty of letters -- George was a very romantic man in a well traveled regiment. I'll keep these letters coming!

Eva said...

By the way, I'm new to your blog as of last week. I have already spent a couple hours poring over the archives, and I shall keep doing so. This blog is an absolute treasure. (I am a ren faire playtron, and I hope to move into reenacting in the future.)