Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wartime Letters of George R. Stancil 1861-1864 Pt3

After a lengthy intermission, I'm posting George Stancil's wartime letters here again, picking up with a letter written in August 1861. (Click image to see a larger version)

Weldon, NC

August 3rd, 1861

Dear Miss Emily,

I enjoy much pleasure in having the opportunity of writing you a few lines. Which leaves me well and I sincerely hope finds you with the enjoyment of the same great blessen It is beyond the power of paper and ink to describe the pleasure I realize in recieving your sentimental note yesterday. Dear Miss, I hope that Providence will so shape my lot that I will again be permitted to see you and enjoy the pleasure of your sweet company, but we are divided from each other by many miles and rivers and hills and dales between us lie but let not all of this our love and friendship chill. If I never see you gain, remember that one brave boy died on the battle field with warm esteem for one that left behind. I send you my argaretype. I want you to write me whether you get it or not.

George R. Stancil

To Miss Emily Dupree

Notes:

This note was written at Weldon, NC, a concentration of Confederate camps, railroads, and depots during much of the war. Several North Carolina regiments formed at Weldon, including the 14th North Carolina Volunteers (later designated 24th North Carolina Troops), which was George Stancil's regiment. I assume that the camps at Weldon were also schools of instruction for soldiers.

Here's a snippet of regimental history of this time in George Stancil's career as a Confederate private in Company A:

This regiment was organized under the command of Colonel William J. Clarke at Weldon in July, 1861; it was then mustered in for twelve months service and designated the 14th Regiment N.C. Volunteers. The regiment was composed originally of nine companies (designated A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I, and K) but was assigned a tenth company (Company D) in May, 1862. The regiment remained at Weldon until August 18, 1861 when it moved by rail to Richmond, Virginia.

When George Stancil was mustered in, he would have been likely issued with the NC regulation uniform and armed with a musket taken from one of the arsenals in the state.

No comments: