Monday, July 02, 2007

Good weekend for Civil War touring

Not a Power Tour by any stretch of the imagination, but my visit to Lynchburg and Appomattox was good. My honey and I went exploring around yesterday, and found Lynchburg to be a lovely town. Then we pushed on to Appomattox Courthouse.

I've been to Appomattox a couple times before, but never with enough time to really check out the buildings as thoroughly as I would have liked. I've always loved the fact that everything is reconstructed as closely as possible to Appomattox CH at the time of the surrender. This greatly appeals to the reenactor inside of me, who can visualize a town center with tattered citizens and former Confederate soldiers going about their day, and Federal soldiers keeping the peace.

As a matter of fact, there were reenactors doing some interpretations that day. One was a Federal provost, and the other was a former Confederate. We managed to catch the talk with the former Confederate, who did a great job making the place come alive. I wish I had time for the Federal soldier, but I didn't want push my dear heart's patience and our schedule for coming home. Then again, it's another excuse for coming back!

No comments: