Saturday, December 30, 2006

Wartime Letters of George R. Stancil 1861-1864 Pt2

George R Stancil's letters to Emily Dupree continued...

Blue Sulfur Springs [VA?]
Ma the 27 1861

Dear Miss. I embrace this opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you no that I am yet in the land of the living. I am glad to say to you that my health is improving I am able to get around right well, but I think if I could see you, but we are a great many miles apart but you are present with me in mind. You are the last thing on my mind at night and the first when I wake. But I hope that we will meet again and then I hope that we will [word uncipherable] and hard to part. We moved I am glad to say to you that we are moving toward the Old North State. I expect to start tomorrow to Petersburg. [word uncipherable] and when we get there I hope I can get home.

I want you to write to me as soon as you get this for it affords me a great deal of pleasure to get a letter from you. When you write me again direct your letter to Petersburg. I will close my letter for my candle is dim and it dont give much light. My paper is bad and my ink is pale, My love for you will never fail. So good night my love nothing more at present only I remain your affectionate lover until death.

George R. Stancil

No comments: