Monday, July 31, 2006

What I Last Read

War At Every Door

ISBN: 080784988X

This was a very impressive book for me. War At Every Door combines much of what I know and delivers it in a way that those details are tied together and make more sense. For me, I read heavily about the war in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. It's part heritage and part curiosity in a part of the war not often written about that's the draw. I have relatives that served in the homeguard and in the 4th Tennessee Infantry, US, so this book touches close to home.

War At Every Door is a great top-level look at the war in eastern Tennessee and the politics that drove many of the actions of the area's prominent figures. Noel Fisher does a great job in guiding the reader through the beginning all the way through to the end of the war and beyond. He doesn't become too detailed, rather concentrating on the whole story. I was a little disappointed that a few interesting instances weren't covered, such as Unionist voting in the 1864 presidential election, but that's not really a mark against this book.

So far, this has been the best comprehensive book I've read on the wartime and political landscape of east Tennessee. War At Every Door is an easy read, doesn't get too bogged down with detail, but delivers enough to create an accurate vision of the place and time. This book is a recommended read.

No comments: