Monday, May 15, 2006

I Hate Group Politics

Last week, I had another grim reminder of the darker side of reenacting and the human dynamic - group politics.

I know there must be politics in almost any human endeavor. It's the way we are. But reenacting politics are an exercise in frustration. The hobby is naturally suited for competition on many levels. You compete to lead your group; you compete to make your group a leader, you compete to use your research, and so on. Competition begets politics.

I just hate it when no one is willing to sit and come to the bottom of an issue, and the let politics get out of hand. It happened with my group. But I've decided to not let it get to my enjoyment of my hobby. In '88 I quit the hobby because of the rampant group politics at the time. Not this time.

OK, I'm through ranting. For now.

"Why can't we all just get along?"

No comments: